- 1 onion!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (olive oil is good, too).
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup stock broth (some recipes call for beef. I think veggie works just fine. Heck, you can use water).
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Saute¬†the onion in oil and butter. Really you’re trying to¬†caramelize¬†the onions.
- Add in flour, water and broth. If you want it to be thicker, add in the flour first. Then the broth after a minute and so. Be patient. This will get thicker the longer you do everything.¬†Throw in all the other ingredients once you have the broth and water in.
- Make sure you stir in and scrape the bottom of the skillet to get all the onion up and stirred into the mix.
The entire process should take about thirty minutes or so. You can add a bit of flour to thicken it up, or patience. You can season it with pepper or other spices to taste.